Monday, December 16, 2013

The Month I Got Pregnant

I should start by warning you that this post may be TMI for some of you.  If you fear TMI then maybe you shouldn't read it.  I am writing this post for my memory as well as for those who have been following our infertility journey who are interested in finding out how we finally got pregnant. 

Let me start by saying that we were so lucky to be able to get pregnant naturally.  I was not taking any fertility medications.  I had taken Clomid back in May and my body didn't even respond to it.  The only thing I did differently this month was take a medicine called Metformin.  It is actually a medicine for Diabetes that can also help treat PCOS, which I was diagnosed with.  It is supposed to lower your blood sugar, which can help regulate your hormone levels and make your menstrual cycles regular.  I wasn't even taking the full dosage because it made me very sick to my stomach.  I was only taking it for a month when I got my period.  This was only the second period I'd had in an entire year.  Two weeks later, I ovulated and that was it!  (I was using an Ovulation Predictor Kit and I was tracking my Basal Body Temperature this month.)

I found out I was pregnant on Saturday, October 19th, 2013.  I actually had a dream that morning that I took a pregnancy test and it was positive...I've never had a dream like that before!  I was only 8 days past ovulation according to my Fertility Friend App.  My period wasn't due for another six days.  I promised myself this month that I would not take a pregnancy test until I had actually missed my period.  But for some reason, I couldn't help but feel like I was pregnant.  I just knew this was it...I can't even explain it.  So after I got home from work that night, I decided to take a test.  I kept telling myself that I was testing waaaaay to soon, but I couldn't help myself.

You see, I had such an intense craving for Moe's Nachos all day that I immediately rushed over there after work to get some.  As I stood in line waiting to order my Nachos, I was getting SO irritated by the lady standing behind me.  She was standing so close to me that she was actually touching my arm.  I was about to scream.  This is not like me at all.  I got my nachos and rushed out to my car so I could sneak a bite before I got home...but one bite wasn't good enough.  I continued to eat these ridiculously messy nachos while driving home.  My hands & car were a mess.  Then, after I did get home, I finished eating the nachos standing up, leaning over the kitchen counter, scarfing them down as fast as I could.  I ate every.last.bite of those freakin' nachos.  After I was done I stood there thinking to myself "what is wrong with me."  That is when I decided I would take a test.  :)

So, after I took the test, I sat down on the floor of my closet and just stared at it.  After about five minutes, I noticed a very faint second pink line.  It was so faint that you really had to squint and hold it in a certain light to see it.  BUT, it was definitely there.  I decided to take a second test right after to make sure I wasn't just going crazy.  So I did, and it also had a very faint second pink line. I remained surprisingly calm, but I was mad at myself for testing so early because now I was trying to decide if this was actually a positive test!  (All I had were those little internet cheapie tests, so I didn't even know if they were accurate.)

The next morning, I had to go to work.  I took another internet cheapie test that morning and again I got another super faint line...but it looked just a little bit darker.  I knew after I got off work that night, I would stop at the store and pick up a "real" pregnancy test.  I ran into Wal-Mart on my way home and grabbed a package of First Response tests.  I got home and rushed to the bathroom to take one.  I was so SHOCKED when almost immediately I got a second pink line.  Holy cow!  This was it!  I really am pregnant! 

 I always planned on telling Brad in a really creative way, but I was so excited that I had to call him right away...while he was working.  When he answered the phone, I asked him if he was sitting down...then I said "I'm Pregnant!"  He just started laughing.  I think we were both in total shock.  It started becoming real to us after I went out the next day and bought a Clearblue Digital Test that actually said the word "Pregnant."  



We shared the exciting news with our parents just a few days later. :)

1 comments:

melissa said...

Hi Kelly, I just wanted to let you know that I am so happy for you. I kind of just happened upon your blog via facebook just before you started writing about your infertility and I've been thinking about you so much since. I was so happy when you announced you were pregnant! Enjoy every minute!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com